Monday, June 27, 2011

Dyslexia and Irlen Syndrome - Using Coloured Overlays to Help Struggling Readers

I have been working with a struggling reader on the Reading Recovery Program for 7 weeks. She is not making accelerative progress and I have great concerns about her progress. I did not administer a 'screening' as I feel she is too young at this stage. Instead, I just put different coloured overlays over the text while she was reading and asked her which colour made it more comfortable for her eyes when she was reading. Already I have noticed improvements in reading accuracy which I have not noticed for 7 weeks! Let me keep you posted, as I'm sure that in 2 weeks she will be making great gains with her reading ability. I will try and record the reading with and without overlays so you can see for yourself.
Cheers
Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment